Saturday 24 March 2012

Scones


I like to bake and came across a recipe for scones a little while ago that I thought I would try once I got home. It's really quick and simple and you can eat them with whatever you like. We had cream and jam while they were still warm from the oven, but I forgot to add dried fruit which you could add if you like. Sometimes we toast scones and eat them with butter, but if you just want to have them plain, then they're your scones.



Roll out and cut your dough depending on how big you want your scones to be. I used a medium cutter and rolled the dough out about 1-1.5cm thick and they rose to about 2 inches. I managed to make 9 medium scones and 1 weirdly shaped small one from the left-over dough. If you roll to about 2cm, then you could probably make six nicely shaped ones or twelve small ones if you roll thinner.

Here's the rough recipe that I followed:

Ingredients:
- 225g self-raising flour
- 45g butter
- pinch of salt
- 1.5 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 egg
- milk

1. Pre-heat your oven to 220°C
2. Sieve together the flour and salt.
3. Add the butter and rub together with your fingers until it forms crumbs.
4. Add the sugar and mix in
5. Crack an egg into a measuring jug and beat. Top up with milk to 150ml
6. Add the egg/milk mixture a little at a time to the bowl and mix in roughly each time.
7. Turn out onto a floured surface, roll out and cut
8. Place on a lightly greased tray and bake for 12-16 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment